Title: Asparagus Wrapped with Pancetta & Basil Dressing
Broadcast: October 7th 2017
Presenter: Russell Blaikie
Ingredients for 6 as a starter:
- 12 large spears of asparagus
- 12 long, very thin slices of pancetta
- Salad oil for cooking
- 2 tablespoons verjuice (this can be substituted with lemon juice)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon caster sugar
- 100ml olive oil
- 1 shallot finely diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Few fresh basil leaves for garnish
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Peel the bottom 5 cm of the asparagus spears, and trim the cut ends off
- Wrap each spear ‘barber pole’ style with the pancetta, then reserve in the refrigerator until required.
- Heat BBQ to medium-high. Place asparagus on char grill and close lid, cook for 2 minutes then lift lid and turn over. Drop lid again and cook for a further two to three minutes until firm but tender.
- Once cooked, remove the asparagus spears to a large serving platter, drizzle with dressing and garnish with a few fresh basil leaves. Serve warm with a glass of aromatic dry white wine, such as a pinot grigio.
Method for the basil dressing:
- Whisk together the verjuice, mustard and sugar. Slowly add the oil while whisking, in a slow drizzle, until it is all incorporated.
- Fold in the shallot and chopped basil, season with salt and pepper to taste.
The Garden Gurus